When looking for a backdrop material there are a number of things that will help steer you in the right direction.
- What color are you looking for (sky blue, white, natural)?
- Do you need something seamless or can it be seamed? Use seamless if it's going to be backlit, but consider the more economical seamed backdrop if not. Prices range widely based on fabric width.
- If you are using your backdrops as a bounce, seamless white muslin is most common.
- Choose lightweight for costumes, linings and patterning; medium weight for hard covered flats and small drops; heavyweight for soft covered flats and large drops.
- If you're painting on muslin, choose the NFR variety (non flame retardant) and then add flame retardant to your paint or sizing, or spray with flame retardant after painting. This will help avoid salt crystals in the flame retardant leaching to the surface of the fabric.
We carry an enormous variety of muslins in stock and ready to order. Buy it by the yard below, or ask us for a quote on a custom finished piece by clicking the blue button to the right.